Did you know that you already have the answers you need within you? As an animal communicator, I frequently get calls asking for advice. Before connecting with the animal in question, I first ask discovery questions to find out what my client already knows – and I don’t mean what they know about the situation, I mean what they already know in their hearts is the right answer.
Last summer I got a call from a client, Sarah who rescued another large dog from a shelter. She already had a handful of large dogs and wanted to adopt this dog out to another family especially because of the tension between this new dog and her other pack members. By the time she called me she felt stressed, confused and directionless. She knew it made sense to adopt this dog to another family, but something inside of her kept coming up with ways to keep her for one more day, one more week. She wanted me to speak with Daisy and ask her what she preferred.
Before I connected with Daisy, I worked with Sarah. Her energy felt chaotic and tight. I invited her to take a few deep breaths and connect with her heart. Once I felt her energy calm I asked her a simple question, “what do you want for Daisy?”
She answered honestly, “I want her to be in a good, loving home.” I followed up with, “Do you think you can provide that good, loving home?”
With her eyes closed, Sarah answered, “yes.” Her eyes shot open and she instantly fell back into the chaotic, tight energy. “But, what if she keeps fighting with my other dogs? What if I don’t have enough space? What if it is the wrong decision for her?”
I returned Sarah to the calm, grounded space through her breath. I asked her to connect with Daisy through her heart. I guided her to ask Daisy what she wanted.
“I can’t hear her.” So, instead I asked Sarah to tell me what she felt. Returning her attention to the connection between her heart and Daisy’s she shared, “I feel warmth, joy, love.”
“Do you think Daisy wants to go live with another family?” I asked. “No, I think she wants to stay here as much as I want her to.”
“I feel those same things coming from her. I think she has given you her answer.”
Daisy remained with Sarah and her family. They had challenges to overcome as she integrated Daisy in with the rest of the pack, but once Sarah made the decision to keep Daisy, she never looked back.
All too often, we are so caught up in the stories in our head of the way things should be that we lose the ability to gain access to our innate inner wisdom. This wisdom is found not in the brain, but in our body and our energy field (or BioField). To access this wisdom we must first connect with our body, then allow for the wisdom to inform us. Here is a great, quick technique for accessing it.
- Take a long, deep, slow breath. Inhale into your lungs allowing them to expand and fill your belly. Exhale slowly and with control until all the air is out of your lungs. Do this two more times expanding the exhale even more with each breath.
- Place your hands on your heart as you direct your attention there as well.
- Become aware of your body. Begin with your toes and notice any tension as you go up your legs, past your hips, along your torso, down your arms, paying special attention to any tension in your shoulders and neck, then up your head to the crown.
- Soften any areas that continue to hold tension, do not require the tension to dissolve, simply soften in to those areas as you allow them to be as they are.
- Now you are ready to ask the question that you wish to have clarity on.
- Notice how your body feels when you ask the question. You will know that you have arrived at the most aligned answer when your body feels warm, relaxed, spacious, or relieved. If you have any tightness, rigidity, tension, or retraction, or have simply jumped back into the stories in your head, this is not an aligned answer for you and your situation.
- Accept the answer as it has come to you knowing that you can choose to act on it or not, but at least you have clarity. Thank your body for that clarity.
This process takes practice. Over time you will get very familiar with your body’s natural responses and clarity will come that much faster and easier. Understanding how to access your Truth (the answers and wisdom within you) allows you to make more aligned decisions in all areas of your life, whether it is about your pet, your family, your work, or yourself.